Over the course of one day learn about High Impact Teaching Strategies and which ones have the greatest Impact in Primary School Maths. Topics include:
- The ‘Science of Maths’ as applied to a primary school setting.
- The explicit teaching required to teach students to solve word problems.
- How understanding impacts on fluency.
- How the science of teaching mathematics needs to be balanced with the art of teaching.
- Practical classroom steps that allow you to manage differentiation and why there comes a point where differentiation is not enough, and you require intervention.
- How routines help you manage cognitive load.
- When instructional models impede progress and how they may be modified to enhance progress.
Teaching for Impact: Mathematics
There is much discussion in education circles about neuroscience, psychology and education research. Part of this discussion involves many misunderstandings. In this session we will unpack the evidence specific to effective mathematics education. Key elements of the Teaching for Impact document published by the Education Department and high impact teaching strategies used in other sectors will be considered. Participants will leave with lots of links to follow up with further reading. Dr Swan and Narelle will be co-presenting. The day will balance theory with practical application in the classroom.
Presented by Paul Swan and Narelle Rice
Dr Paul Swan PhD: Has 40 years teaching experience and over 50 publications including the best-selling Teaching Primary Mathematics 3rd, 4th and 5th editions. He will show how research may be applied in the classroom setting and explode many of the neuro myths surrounding teaching of mathematics.
Narelle Rice: With 20+ years teaching experience with low and high achieving students Narelle brings with her a wealth of knowledge gained from working with students requiring intervention. Narelle balances the need for explicit teaching and reducing cognitive load to support students who require Tier 2 and Tier 3 intervention. Narelle is the brains and voice behind the Bond Blocks System (not covered at this PL day).
Monday, 26 Feb 2024, 8:45am – 3:00pm
Ambrose Estate, Wembley Golf Course
200 The Blvd, Wembley Downs WA
Room: Ambrose 1.
Free parking onsite at Wembley Golf Course